Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sex Isn't a Big Deal

"Sex isn't a big deal."

I said that a few weeks ago to
two of my children
(and a couple of their friends).
And within the context of our conversation,
I assumed that what I meant was clear.
 
However,
yesterday, my youngest daughter
mentioned it to me and revealed that
she had mistook me as meaning something
entirely different than what I had intended!
 
We have always attempted to keep
the lines of communication open and clear
for our children about any subject they
wish to discuss.
No topic is taboo or off limits in our home.
 
But perception is a funny thing.
And without clear, open and free
communication,
things can easily become "sticky"
or convoluted.
 
 
So when I said,
"Sex isn't a big deal,"
I was implying that when you are in a
committed relationship/partnership
with another person,
sex is not necessarily at the forefront
of the relationship.
It is always an important part of the relationship,
but as life happens and
as time goes on,
sex is not as big of a deal as it was when
we were younger or new to one another.
 
In a healthy, loving relationship,
sex is a benefit rather than
 something we struggle to abstain from
or
something which we strive to obtain.
 
I'm thankful that Girl2 brought this up again
so that I could clarify my (very serious) comment
which she had perceived as being flippant!
 
Which goes to show that any kind of relationship
without clear communication is
a disaster waiting to happen!

Raising children in a safe, honest & open
environment is essential to their well-being
on into adulthood.
And I am so glad that we have chosen this path!
 
 
P.S.: My children (and friends) are teens/young adults and are
mature and capable of handling such topics of conversation.
No need to report me to the authorities for exposing
children to illicit conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every life is a Journey.
Comments and conversations are welcome.
We all have thoughts, ideas and perspectives.
I respect yours and thank you for respecting mine.